Roadstone Foamed Concrete is a lightweight, highly flowable, limited strength mix, also referred to as Flowable Fill Material. The mix contains a high and stable mass of air that reduces the density and significantly improves the placing characteristics giving it self-compacting characteristics with no requirement for vibration.
Because of the high air content Foamed Concrete has excellent insulation, sound-absorbing and fire-resisting properties. Strength profiles of between 1.0 – 10.0 N/mm2 can be achieved making this mix ideal in applications where future excavation may be necessary.
An extremely versatile material Foamed Concrete is ideally suited to fill voids where limited, difficult or unstable access is a problem such as disused vaults, sewers and pipe lines or for neutralising redundant petrol/diesel storage tanks where gas and fumes within the tank are displaced by the foamed concrete rendering the tank safe.
Trench reinstatement up to 50mm of final road level is another common application with the advantage of speed of placement, no settlement, no compaction necessary and ease of subsequent excavation if required.
- Neutralises and secures old fuel storage tanks
- Fills disused vaults, sewers, pipe lines, culverts and shafts
- Trench re-instatement
- Insulating sub-screeds
- Filling of temporary openings
- Filling of arches in bridges and viaducts.
Key features and benefits
- Ease of placement and finishing (particularly where access is limited)
- Self-compacting and self-levelling
- Cost effective compared with traditional trench fill methods
- Good thermal, sound and fire resisting characteristics
- Resistant to freeze / thaw damage
- Reduced weight compared with normal concrete
- I.S. EN 206 – Concrete Part 1 : Specification, Performance, Production and Conformity
- NRA Specification for Road Works – Series 1000
- Project Specific Specifications