Roadstone manufacture a range of permeable concrete mixes that are robust, user friendly and sustainable and are ideally suited for situations where the rapid percolation of surface water is required. Also referred to as no-fines, porous or permeable concrete, this concrete uses the same raw materials as normal concrete except that the fine aggregate or sand is removed entirely.
Our mix design process using single sized coarse aggregate of 20, 14 or 10mm with strict control of the cement and water contents results in reduced particle packing potential with a stable void content that is highly porous allowing fast draining of surface/storm water directly back to the substrata or the sub base drainage system.
The permeable concrete acts like a sieve that quickly absorbs and drains water away from saturated car parks, roadways, footpaths and civil engineering works making them safer and less prone to flooding or frost damage. Permeable concrete can also be used as a lightweight infill or overlay material.
The thermal conductivity is approx. half that of normal concrete, giving excellent insulation characteristics. Coloured versions of our permeable concrete are also available which enhance the aesthetic nature of the product.
- Car parks
- Public areas
- Footpaths and driveways
- Sub bases and blinding layers
- Civil engineering structures – drainage media
Key features and benefits
- Highly porous allows rapid surface water removal
- Reduces risk of flooding
- Reduces freeze/thaw attack
- Reduces the requirement for more expensive drainage systems
- Reduces maintenance costs for storm water management
- Is placed similar to normal concrete with no special equipment required
- I.S. EN 206 – Concrete Part 1 : Specification, Performance, Production and Conformity
- NRA Specification for Road Works – Series 2600
- Project Specific Specifications